Friday, April 24, 2015

Dance Class

Today I decided to do one of the dance class lessons that comes in the Dance N Beats program book.  It was so much fun!  The girls loved the music as always but there were also fun activities to do in between dances.

We started with the warm-up song.  Littlest is starting to know some of the choreography (at least I think she does.)  This is one of Miss M's favorites and I'm never allowed to go to one of the other songs first, we always start with our warm-up.

I chose to do Dance Class 4.  The math lesson was written for a larger group than the three of us so I modified it.  Instead of using ping pong balls number 1-20, I used leftover plastic Easter eggs numbered 1-10.  I spread them around the living room and the girls picked them up and put them in our "seahorse pouch" as we danced to "Hey, Mr. Seahorse".  Then we dumped them out again and put them in numerical order.  Miss M needed help with the concept of putting them in order (although she can tell you what comes next), not just in a line next to any random number so that was our focus.  I think I will use these eggs again in the future but fill them with a corresponding number of goldfish crackers or some snack so we can practice the concept of more/less and what numbers are big and small.

The language focus was on the following vocabulary words: sway, stretch, grow and float.  I wrote them on index cards and we looked at the letters and talked about what they meant.  Then we practiced moving together.  Littlest was ready for her nap at the point and Miss M was needing a break so we didn't push it further.

The last activity of the day was this fun jellyfish wand.  Miss M wanted to do stickers instead of coloring so she decorated the back, then we practiced cutting long ribbons and taping them on the straight bottom.  For some reason, she found the jellyfish really funny and made up a song which she sang to it over and over.  Unfortunately it's in M-ish (my name for her personal language) and the only word I understood was "jellyfish".  It is apparently an hilarious song though because she kept cracking up.

This was the first time I've done one of the lessons provided in the book and I really enjoyed it.  I think we might have to host a dance party on a Friday or Saturday with friends in the future.





1 comment:

  1. What a fun activity and great modifications. It's fun to see all the learning that goes on with the materials as well.seeing them enjoy the learning along with the fun is important

    ReplyDelete