Wednesday, September 2, 2015

The End (of our Fables unit)

I have really, really enjoyed this unit.  I may just have to come up with a few of my own story-based activities to supplement our Mother Goose Time curriculum because it was just so much fun and I loved introducing the girls to literature from around the world at such a young age.

For our last class of the month, we read the folktale "Stone Soup.  We brought out our favorite manipulatives so far, the glass rocks, and practiced counting with them.  I put them in a pot from the play kitchen, had each girl (even Littlest) grab a handful and put them in a little bowl and then they jealously guarded their treasure as they counted how many rocks their little hands had acquired.

The story pieces were a hit, with each girl calling dibs on a particular vegetable to add to our pot as the story went on.  Miss M has learned the word "favorite" although I am not sure she quite grasps the meaning since she joyfully declared potatoes to be her favorite snack even though she has refused to eat them for months now.

For the postcard activity, I cut up the produce section of our local grocery ad and let the girls choose pictures to glue on the front.  On the back I wrote their names and the date and had them finish the sentence "I like to eat ______."  I gave one of the cards to Littlest to practice scribbling on as well (shoving down my instinct to keep it until she was old enough to "do it right").  She's getting the hang of holding a crayon and uses pretty good pressure so you can actually see the color on the page now.  It is exciting to watch her new skills emerge alongside her sister.

Instead of the vegetable soup, which I would have liked but I'm pretty sure would have been wasted on my girls given past experience, we had a snack of homegrown cherry tomatoes and raspberries with zucchini bread (I grew the zucchini, too) while watching a version of "Stone Soup" on YouTube.  It was a yummy way to end a fun month of fables and folktales.  I can't wait to start our September unit!

No comments:

Post a Comment