Saturday, May 21, 2016

Rub a Dub Dub

Don't you love being quarantined?  Littlest came down with hand, foot and mouth disease (which Miss M has already had) so our friends stayed away and we stayed in.  Thankfully we had some fun things to keep us occupied.

On Monday we did the Bath Time unit.  I taught them the original words to the poem "Rub A Dub Dub" in lieu of the opening song that day and we set aside the I Can Read Book to look at another day (Miss M just wasn't into it that day).  I love those I Can Read Books, they are great to take in the car.

We watched "Harry the Dirty Dog" and then they decorated their dogs.  Instead of having them paint with dirt and paint (my paint is just not very good and I keep meaning to replace it), I had them color with brown crayons on one side of their dogs.  This was fun because they could see the rubbings of the dot stickers from the other side.  They had fun "washing" their dirty dogs in their play sink.

It wasn't until later that I had the idea that I should have had them put the dots on, them laminate the dogs and let them use our dry erase crayons to make him dirty.  Then they could have cleaned him off and started again.  Oh well, hindsight.  We did talk about different ways they get dirty.  Miss M likes to paint her hands with her yogurt and Littlest's favorite seems to be making mud by dumping sand from her sandbox into her water table, then flinging it.

Later on in the day, Littlest needed something to occupy her time while I made dinner so we did the Boats in Bubbles activity.  I filled up our powder room sink, put her in a smock and dumped a bunch of the boat counters into soapy water.  I gave her a variety of spoons and ladles to use to fish them out.  Our big slotted spoon worked the best because she could easily get more than one and it allowed the water to drain out before she dumped them into the bucket.  I could look over at her while I made dinner and name the colors she fished out and count them for her.



We survived the week and Littlest has recovered quickly, thankfully.  I am looking forward to sharing some of our last week's lessons with friends and family next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment