Wednesday, March 18, 2015

St. Patrick's Day

I'm not usually a big celebrator of St. Patrick's Day (I had to scrounge for green clothes for everyone) but I thought it would be fun to do a little craft with Miss M that also worked on fine motor skills.

After scouring Pinterest for a few minutes, I cobbled together this rainbow pasta necklace craft from a few different sites.  Miss M had fun holding the bags for me and we counting 15 penne pasta noodles into each one, then added 3/4 teaspoon of vinegar and 5 drops of food coloring to each bag.  I sealed the bags and let Miss M and Littlest moosh them up until the pasta was well covered.  Then I dumped them onto a piece of parchment paper and spread them out so they could dry.  It took about an hour until they were ready to use.

I used a baby weight/sport weight yarn for stringing because it's a little thinner than your typical crocheting yarn.  I taped one end down on the counter to keep the pasta from falling off (I would have had to tie about 20 knots to get one big enough to keep them on), then tightly wrapped tape around two inches of the other end to make a "needle" that she could just slide through the pasta and pull out the other side.

It took a little practice and help from me on the first one (we also practiced patterning on this one) but she did the second one completely on her own (I even let her put the colors on in whatever order she wanted, which is hard for me since I like symmetry) and we did the third one together (she was getting bored by that time).  Then she wore them for the next hour as she danced, zoomed and played before nap.
Littlest liked shaking the necklaces and the vinegar coating on them made her decide to keep them out of her mouth, which I appreciated.

1 comment:

  1. Well done...both creative and useful. I liked that Littlest could participate as well.

    ReplyDelete