Friday, January 8, 2016

Best Laid Plans

So, we had school yesterday.  Or at least I tried to have school yesterday.  We barely made it through circle time and as soon as I brought out the safari counters from our monthly materials bag, school was over.  All they wanted to do was play with the animals.  I did manage to show them some pictures from our trip to San Diego's Safari Park in June so they could get a little bit of an idea of what I was trying to talk about with them.  We taped off our park and I did get them use the safari bucks to pay me for their tickets.  Then it was a race to collect as many animals as possible so I made the girls "buy" them from me for $2 each.  They grabbed up the ones they wanted, we lined them up and counted out $2 for each, then counted all of them together.  That was pretty much the academic extent of the day.

A little later on I was able to cajole them, one at a time, to come into the kitchen for a little art project I put together.  I searched for free "savanna coloring pages" and printed the first one that came up without any animals.  I had a couple pages of zoo animal stickers and designed a quick following directions activity.  I had them color specific items, draw a sun, pond and birds and place stickers different places on the sheet using positional words (under, over, next to and in).  They liked it and did well with the simple 1-2 step directions.  I used to work on this skill a lot as a speech therapist, using activities like this.

Making her elephants "hug"
We didn't even get to snack.  As soon as they finished the coloring/sticker page, they were back to playing with those animals.  Some days are like that.  I was frustrated and a little upset until I took a moment to listen to them.  They were dialoguing with each other, describing their animals' actions and emotions, taking turns driving around the park we'd outlined earlier.  Miss M asked for a chimpanzee.  Her request was denied and a teaching moment ensued.  Some times we don't get what we want, even if we ask nicely and we have to find a way to be ok with that.  I needed to learn that lesson as much as she did that morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment