Sunday, November 22, 2015

Our Week with Mother Goose

Here is a recap of some of our favorite activities from our Mother Goose Time lessons this week.

Miss M decided to be "Mommy Teacher" for a day, relegating me to the floor while she taught from the stool (to be fair, she did offer to let me sit in her blue chair but unfortunately Mommy's hips don't quite fit).  She went through the calendar and weather items, introduced our new letter and led us in song ("Twinkle Twinkle Little Star").  I spread out the day of the week clouds and had her identify the correct day by the initial sound.  It was adorable and reminded me of when I was little and my favorite game was playing teacher.

The foam shape tangrams are always fun to play with although for someone like me who is not great with visual-spatial skills, a key would be kind of helpful.  Miss M was actually pretty good at figuring it out on her own (she gets that from her daddy).

Making elephant masks was fun, although I was surprised they quit after only a relatively few squares of tissue paper.  Gluing is one of their favorite things but they were anxious to be done and play with them.  I cut out the eye and nose holes and the girls ran around the room bellowing like elephants for quite a few minutes.  Littlest will point at hers on the counter (I have an area where I display their crafts for the month) and start making elephant sounds to indicate that she would like to play with it some more.

The older girls really enjoyed the race track game.  I modified it a little by adding a deck of alphabet cards from our July theme.  Before their turn, they had to draw a card, name the picture, identify the initial sound and then try and name the letter that makes the sound (I only had them do so much because they both know their letters and sounds quite well).  If they couldn't remember on their own, they could turn it over and name the letter directly.  Then they got to roll their die, count the dots and move around the board.  Going around three times was a little much for them so we stopped after two times but it still gave them lots of practice in letter/sound identification and counting.

Both girls have had a round (or two) with a stomach bug this week so we didn't press a lot of school.  Our fruit beads from last month have been played with a lot and will be making a trip to Washington with us, as well many of the games from this month.  My nephew is excited to play with them and have some MGT at his house.


No comments:

Post a Comment